VACANCY: Director of Enterprise Development Services
Small and Medium Enterprises Development Institute (SMEDI) is a parastatal organization under the Ministry of Trade and Industry. It was established under the Trustees Incorporation Act (Cap. 5:3) of the Laws of Malawi.
The mandate of SMEDI is to promote the development and growth of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Malawi through direct intervention and/or partnering with key stakeholders and other role players to; create an enabling environment; facilitate access to finance, information and markets for MSMEs and provide relevant, needs-based business development services.
An employment opportunity has arisen at SMEDI for the vacant post of Director of Enterprise Development Services (Grade SME 2) reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The post is tenable at the SMEDI Head Office in Lilongwe. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position.
Applicants must have the following qualifications and attributes:
· A minimum of Masters’ Degree in Business Administration, Management, Marketing, Economics or Entrepreneurship.
· At least Seven (7) years’ progressive experience at management level in a related field.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
· Sound knowledge of the local and international MSME landscape;
· Sound coordination, planning, facilitation and program development skills;
· Sound negotiation, networking and advocacy skills;
· Excellent computer knowledge;
· Ability to manage and motivate staff;
· Ability to develop proposals;
As a Head of the Enterprise Development Services directorate, the successful candidate will among other things be responsible for:
· Initiating the formulation and review of policies, strategies, annual work plans and budgets of the department;
Managing and coordinating the development and implementation of work programs in the department in accordance with good practices;
Managing and growing Business Incubation services;
Growing revenue streams from the institution’s income generation units i.e. training, consultancies, the Leather Design Studio, fuel service station, Board and Lodge, conference facilities, stopover, Business Incubation services and any revenue streams that may be created in future;
· Mobilizing resources for operations and ensuring that the resources are utilized efficiently and effectively for the furtherance of the objectives of the Institute;
· Attending executive management meeting for Strategic and business review;
· Supervising, guiding and assessment of the performance of staff under his/her charge;
· Preparing documents for and attending Board of Trustees meetings;
· Addressing issues on matters related to MSMEs training, information and advisory services;
Facilitating the development, monitoring and assessing the delivery of all services in the department to ensure adherence to guidelines and standards.
Applications with detailed curriculum vitae with at least three names of relevant and traceable referees should be sent to:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P O Box 30061
Closing date for receiving the applications: Friday, 11th November, 2022.